Saturday, December 11, 2010

100 Things you should eat before you die

A while back, I found a great post regarding this meme
(check it out here)

Now as part of the MyTasteOfTheDay blog, I am planning on reprinting the list, along with my opinions, recipes, etc. For now though, I will post it here. Please take a look at it and comment back.


I have a broad palate. I am willing to try most things, but this article intrigued me. Take a look at the list. What do you think is missing? What would you never eat and why?

Starting today I'll review the list and share some of my comments. I'll let you know if I've eaten it, if I won't eat it, and hopefully some interesting information along the way.

1. Snake

Snake? Really? Ok, I'll start with a "No" right here. I don't think I could eat a snake. There are plenty of other things that I would try that are probably more disgusting then Rat Snake Au Gratin or Cobra du Jour.

According to Wikipedia, there are over 2900 species of snakes. While many are deadly, most are not venomous. In our Western culture, snakes are looked down on and considered evil mostly due to Biblical accounts in Genesis. Some other cultures revere the snake and place it in a place of honor.

For the most part, Western cultures do not eat snakes. An exception is rattlesnake, which is sometimes consumed in the western United States. In other cultures, snakes are considered a delicacy, sometimes with medicinal powers. Personally, I can't get past the revulsion factor here, but maybe you have a stronger stomach than I do.

from the Rattlesnake Recipe Page:

Rattlesnake & Italian Lentils

1 large onion, chopped

3 large garlic cloves, minced

1 jalapeno pepper, minced

handful Italian parsley, finely chopped

1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes

2 bay leaves

1 tsp. salt

2 tsp. black pepper

1 tsp. thyme

2 tbsp. dried basil

4 1/2 cups water

1 package dry lentil beans

2 lb. rattlesnake meat

juice from 1/2 lemon

Simmer rattlesnake in water and lemon juice for 1 hour, remove and separate meat from bones.

Combine de-boned meat with the rest of the ingredients in a crockpot and slow-cook for 6-8 hours, or bring to boil in large cooking pot and simmer for 2 hours.

Personal preference aside, I noticed several similarities between recipes: 1) The rattlesnake needs to be simmered in water and lemon for an hour, then 2) it has to slow cook for 6-8 hours. Also it appears that you can purchase cleaned and packaged rattlesnake meat through agbase.com for $40-60 a pound.


If Rattlesnake & Italian Lentils doesn't "bite" you, how about Cantonese Snake Soup? (link)


150g done snake meat

egg shreds
pork shreds

dried mushroom shreds
white fungus shreds
dried longan pulp
dried orange peel grains
delicious soup
dark soy
rice wine
salt
sugar
pepper
gourmet powder
watered starch
chive oil
sesame oil


1. Clean the killed snake. Put it in boiling water, then add chives, ginger, wine, and stew for half an hour. Take the meat and tear it into shreds. Steam them together with the chives, ginger, wine, and delicous soup for 2 hours. 2. Put the snake meat shreds and the seasonings in 1000g delicious soup in a pot. Braise them to boiling and then take away the foam. Add gourmet powder, watered starch to make paste. Pour in chive oil, sesame oil and place them in a casserole together with crisp chips, chive shreds, ginger shreds, fruit peel shreds, white chrysanthemum, and other seasonings.


If you have the intestinal fortitude to try snake, please let me know.

No comments: