Wednesday, January 19, 2011

When zombies go shopping after work

We've all done it. It's been a long day at work. You skipped breakfast. Lunch was something that came in a wrapper, greasy fries, and something sticky and sweet to drink. At around 4:00, you excused yourself from your 3rd meeting of the day. You found the coffee machine, the one with the German chef on it. He's looking down at the cup in his hand wondering if he was paid enough to shill this mud. Oh, and it is mud. The candy machine is out of Snickers bars, well it is now - thanks to Bob in accounting. That leaves Mallo Cups. (What the hell is a Mallo Cup?) Might as well get the trail mix, at least people will think you eat healthy.





So now it's time to go home. Quick call home first...

"Hey honey, did you take something out for dinner?"
"No. Can you stop at the store?"
"Um sure, I guess. What do you want?"
"I don't know. What ever looks good..."

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!

I'm barely coherent at 5PM as it is and now I have to go shopping. I have no energy left at this point. All I want to do is go home, and collapse into a rumpled heap on the bed for a nap.

Truthfully, shopping isn't really the problem, it's the decision making processes while I'm in the store. So I pull into the parking lot of the supermarket, find my way to a shopping cart, (you know the one with the wobbly wheel) and start wandering the aisles. I'm in full on zombie mode now, who knows what I'll come home with!

What's funny is watching the other people wandering the aisles in the same mode as me. Wait, I'm the only one? Oh, everyone else went and got pizza. Damn it, I don't want to go out to eat!


Ok, let's do this. If I can just think. Break it down. Dinner... healthy, fast. Something to drink. And a little dessert. Healthy and fast that equals salad. Something to drink, how about some peach-orangeade? Finally, a dessert, fresh blueberries over lemon sherbet.

Mandarin Chicken Salad

Ingredients
  • 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
  • 1 head Romaine lettuce
  • 8 ounces cherry tomatoes
  • 4 ounces almond slivers
  • 1 can Mandarin oranges, drained (reserve the juice)
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tablespoon honey
  • 2/3 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese
  • 1 clove garlic chopped

Instructions

  1. Wash, drain and coarsely tear lettuce.
  2. Drain the oranges, reserving juice.
  3. Add oranges, almonds, and tomatoes to lettuce
  4. Place vinegar, juice, honey, salt, pepper, and garlic in a small sauce pan and simmer 2 to 3 minutes. Allow to cool.
  5. In a nonstick pan over medium-high heat, brown chicken breasts. Turn as needed. Cook approximately 15 minutes or until cooked through.
  6. Slice chicken breasts and add to salad.
  7. Combine cooled vinegar mixture and olive oil.
  8. Drizzle vinaigrette over salad and sprinkle cheese.
Peach Orangeade

Ingredients

  • 2 cups orange juice
  • 1/4 cup lime juice
  • 1 liter sparkling water
  • 16 ounce can sliced peaches in juice

Instructions

  1. In blender, combine orange juice, lime juice, and peaches in juice.
  2. Blend for 15 - 20 seconds.
  3. Add Club soda and serve over ice.


Simple dinner, quick, and fairly healthy. Now I can go take my nap. Oh wait, I have a blog to write... yeah.

Until next time, Peace, Love, and Hollandaise Sauce!

No comments: